Don King, on Mike Tyson


"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter?
He went to prison, not to Princeton."



"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music
and the dancers hit each other."

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quotes from Sweet Science

Interesting Boxing Quotes 


"I'll fight Lloyd Honeyghan for nothing,
 if the price is right."
-- Marlon Starling


"This boxer is doing what is expected of him
... bleeding from his nose."
-- broadcaster Harry Carpenter

"I was in a no-win situation
... so I'm glad I won."
-- Frank Bruno


"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music
and the dancers hit each other."
-- Jack Handy


"I've got it made. I've got a wife, and a TV set,
and they're both working."
-- Willie Pep


"Sure, as long as he ties a 56-pound weight to each leg."
-- Brian London,
asked if he would consider fighting Muhammad Ali again.

 "Screw things up in tennis and it's 15-love.
Screw things up in boxing, it's your ass."
-- Randall "Tex" Cobb

"I was called 'Rembrandt' Hope during my boxing days
because I spent so much time on the canvas."
-- comedian Bob Hope

"If you think (Iran) Barkley was mad after the fight, wait till he finds out how many people
are taking part of his purse."
-- promoter Bob Arum


"My main objective is to be professional, but to kill him."
-- Mike Tyson, on Lennox Lewis

"Howard Cosell was considering a boxing career,
but they couldn't find a mouthpiece that was big enough."
-- Muhammad Ali

"He looks up through blood-smeared lips."
-- broadcaster Harry Carpenter

 "The referee is the most-important man in the ring, besides the two fighters."
-- George Foreman

"Superman don't need no plane."
-- Flight attendant, after Muhammad Ali
told her, "Superman don't need no seat belt"

"I'm gonna eat every flavor at Baskin-Robbins,
so when he's pushin' me, he'll be pushing a whole franchise."
-- George Foreman

"Tell him he can have my title, but I want it back in the morning."
-- Jack Dempsey, challenged by a drunk

"Honey, I forgot to duck."
-- Jack Dempsey to his wife
after losing the heavyweight title


"When I looked up, the count was five and I said, 'Damn, what happened
to one through four?"
-- Buster Mathis Jr., after being
KO'd by Mike Tyson


"I fought Sugar Ray so many times, I'm surprised I'm not diabetic."
-- Jake LaMotta

 "Everybody's got plans until they get hit."
-- Mike Tyson


"Yeah, I"m scared ...I'm scared I might kill Schmeling"
-- Joe Louis"

"Joe Frazier's so ugly, he should donate his face
to the U.S. Bureau of  Wildlife."
-- Muhammad Ali

"It's just a job.Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand
... I beat people up."
-- Muhammad Ali

 "You've got a guy who wants to eat your children fighting a guy
who wants to stop you from having any."
-- sports talk host Jim Rome on Tyson-Golota


"You always say, 'I'll quit when I start to slide.'
Then you wake up one morning and realize you done slid."
-- Sugar Ray Robinson"

"Sure, the fight was fixed.  I fixed it with my right hand."
-- George Foreman,
after his 1994 KO of Michael Moorer

"George Foreman can knock down an oak tree
... but oak trees don't move."
-- Angelo Dundee

"I want to keep fighting because it's the only thing that keeps me
out of the hamburger joints. If I don't fight, I'll eat this planet."
-- George Foreman


"Bob Arum is one of the worst people
in the western hemisphere. I don't know the eastern hemisphere very well,
but I suspect he'd be one of the worst people there, too."
-- Trainer Cus D'Amato


"Frank Bruno figures to be the biggest British disaster since the Titanic."
-- columnist Jim Murray,
on the Tyson-Bruno fight


"Mike's like a Beethoven or a Gershwin. You go for the quality
of the performance,not for the longevity."
-- Jose Torres, on the brevity
of Tyson's early fights

"He has a better chance of starring in the next Wonder-bra commercial
than of winning the heavyweight championship."
-- columnist Richard Williams,
on Buster Mathis Jr.


"Congratulations! Whose baby is it?"
-- Joe Frazier, after Ken Norton
announced that his wife just had a baby


 "Frank Bruno has a chin of pure Waterford crystal.
It gives rise to the adage, "People with glass jaws shouldn't throw punches."
-- Columnist Jim Murray


"I can close any cut in the world in 50 seconds,
as long as it ain't a total beheading."
-- Cutman Adolph Ritacco

"Sports is business. It's nothing new.
Kid Cain would not have put his title on the line
against Boy Able if the money hadn't been right."
-- Columnist Frank Keating




"Ain't never hoid of him. Must be one of them foreign heavyweights.
They're all lousy. Sure as hell, I'll moider da bum."
-- "Two-Ton" Tony Galento on Shakespeare





"Two Ton" Tony Galento

No comments: