Don King, on Mike Tyson


"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter?
He went to prison, not to Princeton."



"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music
and the dancers hit each other."

Monday, March 26, 2012

Mike Tyson is ready for his next act

Truth to tell, Mike Tyson is ready for his next act - latimes.com


The former world heavyweight boxing champion rarely fails to grab attention, whether it be with his powerful brawling style, his stunning fall from sporting grace, his ear biting of Evander Holyfield, the facial tattoo and appearances in "The Hangover" films.

Tyson, 45, now is preparing for some reflection, as defined perhaps only by him. First, he'll enter the World Wrestling Entertainment Hall of Fame on Saturday before the April 1 Wrestlemania XXVIII. Who could forget Tyson's appearance as the referee of the 1998 match that marked the start of the "Stone Cold" Steve Austin era?

Then, April 8 to 13, Tyson will unveil his live, one-man act at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, "Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth, Live on Stage," in which he is expected to skewer the likes of his former boxing promoter Don King and former wife Robin Givens, and take an honest look at his own wild ride of life.

How'd you get into the WWE Hall of Fame?

"They think I belong in there and want me to fly out and get inducted into their hall. I'm not going to argue with them. I'm ecstatic. I watched wrestling before I ever watched boxing on TV. Bruno Sammartino was my favorite, but I liked all those guys: Junkyard Dog, Nikolai Volkoff, the Iron Sheik, Superstar Billy Graham."

From there, you go to your new Las Vegas one-man act. What can you tell me about it?
 


"This is something my wife, [Kiki], suggested after we saw Chazz Palminteri's 'A Bronx Tale' standup show in Vegas. It was breathtaking to [Kiki], and I told her, 'I do that stuff in Europe and Asia all the time, but I'm usually drunk in the crowd telling my stories.' This time, it's going to be refined, with not too much profanity. No [derogatory female references]. My wife is all into that girl power movement, so I'm working the respect angle. I'll be pretty naked up there, and we're going to see how people enjoy it."

You've been involved in so many crazy things, what don't we know about you?

"I got a prison counselor pregnant once."

When was that … ?

"When I was locked up. Look it up. That's when it happened."


I remember seeing you a few years ago at a Robert Guerrero fight in the bowels of the Tropicana Hotel. That was not a major bout, but I was impressed because I thought it spoke to your deep affinity for the sport. Am I right?

"I love that stuff. I still love being part of the community. The best things that happened in my life … everything stems from boxing. I wanted to be a master of my genre, and I think I made it. I love fighting, all kinds. I like MMA, it's more exciting than boxing is now. I just like the idea, the philosophy of fighting — karate, Kung Fu, all of it."






Read More @ Source:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-qa-mike-tyson-20120326,0,1375007.story

No comments: