Don King, on Mike Tyson


"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter?
He went to prison, not to Princeton."



"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music
and the dancers hit each other."

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Boxing - Price stunned in second-round defeat - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

 

Boxing - Price stunned in second-round defeat

British heavyweight star David Price suffered the first defeat of his career in a shock second-round defeat by Tony Thompson in Liverpool.





Price, widely considered Britain's best heavyweight prospect since Lennox Lewis, was caught by a fairly innocuous-looking shot to the temple and went down.

He got to his feet but was clearly still reeling and the referee had no option but to declare Thompson the winner.

Price had got off to a solid start, using his height and reach advantage to control the opening round.

But Thompson went all out from the start of the second round and soon had Price on the ropes before sending him to the canvas.

The result throws Price's future career prospects into disarray after defeat in what he said before the bout would be "a pivotal fight in my career".

According to the Telegraph, Price's promoter Frank  Maloney sunk to his knees after the card at the Echo Arena and had to be taken to hospital.

Price had got off to a solid start, using his height and reach advantage to control the opening round.

But Thompson went all out from the start of the second round and soon had Price on the ropes before sending him to the canvas.

"I've been doing that to other people since I turned professional," a philosophical Price said after tasting defeat for the first time as a pro. "It's heavyweight boxing, nobody's invincible. I'll come back from it.

"I didn't take a beating in there tonight - it was one of those shots. It caught my ear and my balance had gone. Sometimes it's best to come back as quickly as possible.

"I'm still the British and Commonwealth champion and, three fights down the line, this will be ancient history."

Thompson said: "I knew I would do this, it's no shock to me. They thought I was just a name for his record but I showed everyone that I've got a lot left."

Strange things happen in Boxing:
In London's Bethnal Green earlier in the day there was another major surprise as former Olympic heavyweight champion Audley Harrison beat Martin Rogan by unaninmous decision on his way to making the Prizefighter final against Derric Rossy.






 Source:
Boxing - Price stunned in second-round defeat - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

 http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/boxing-price-stunned-second-round-defeat-222943399.html




No comments: