Don King, on Mike Tyson


"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter?
He went to prison, not to Princeton."



"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music
and the dancers hit each other."

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Badou Jack is not done yet






NEWSApril 5, 2019 John Dennen


‘Most people who lost that much blood would pass out. I went the 12 rounds’ – Badou Jack is not done yet


Despite enduring one of the most horrific cuts seen in boxing, Badou Jack is gunning for a rematch with Marcus Browne


Esther Lin/Showtime


Read morearticles by
John Dennen


Don’t miss any action. Sign up for the free BN newsletter(s) here


AN injury as horrific as the cut Badou Jack suffered against Marcus Browne in January could bring a boxer’s career to an end, especially at the age of 35 and with a sequence of world title fights already behind him.

But Jack intends to come back, targeting a return later this year and he wants a rematch. “I would love a rematch with Marcus Browne,” he told Boxing News. “I had that big cut but it’s healing good now. I think August, September I would love to be back in the ring.”


He is adamant the cut affected his performance and was a key factor in his points loss to Browne over 12 rounds. “Oh definitely. I could barely see I had like a yellow layer over my eyes I was trying to wipe it off it was still there. I mean, I could barely see,” Jack said. “That guy was getting tired and I’m known for finishing strong. This guy has never been on this level before and I thought I could stop him, I’m going to break him down and get him out of there. It was kind of hard. I couldn’t see.”

It was an accidental head butt hat did the damage. Jack had to admit, “I lost a lot of blood, I don’t know exactly how much. But yeah, there was a doctor there, a friend of mine, he said most people if they lose that much blood they’re going to pass out. But it’s amazing that you went 12 rounds with it. I mean half of that fight, I got the cut in the seventh round, it was pretty hard but I’m a fighter, I’m going to keep fighting.

“I’m not going to quit I’m going to continue to fight as long as I can… It was bleeding really bad and I could barely see during the fight but I didn’t know it was that big, that the gap was that big so I just saw it when I got in the locker room so I was like wow.”

The cut needed a lot of stitches. “It was three layers. I don’t remember exactly [how many stitches], between 75 and 100 maybe,” he noted.










He has been recovering and starting to train, though won’t be sparring for a while yet. In the meantime he is starting his own promotional company and will be staging an event in Dubai on May 3. “I wanted to try something different and I’m very excited,” he said. “I think that’d be a great place to start it’s like kind of the Las Vegas of the Middle East.

“I take one fight at a time and see how it goes and same thing with the promotional company we’re going to take one show at a time. This is a learning experience, this is my first show so I don’t really know how things are going to play out, just work hard and hope for the best so yeah, we’ll see what’s going to happen.”



Badou Jack (148)

Link: http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/badou-jack-most-people-who-lost-that-much-blood-would-pass-out/

No comments: