Don King, on Mike Tyson


"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter?
He went to prison, not to Princeton."



"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music
and the dancers hit each other."

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Kovalev made the bargain of the decade selling his championship belt to CANELLO for a reported $12 million.




Kovalev made the bargain of the decade selling his championship belt to CANELLO for a reported $12 million. 

 Danny Williams ko'd Iron Mike in Tyson's final humiliation.  

Williams has no title to bargain for a big pay day and beating him has little value to a fighter on the rise.


Boxers get desperate when their talent is spent, looking for a break: a way to make a $core.  This is why Sergei Kovalev was smart to get a big payday and hopefully, he will retire.  Andre gave Sergei his fist loss and said he thought SK was 70% the fighter he was when he was called Krusher.  He was no longer throwing his signature straight right.   
Typically, boxers like Williams are unfulfilled, unrealized, frustrated, passive, apathetic and broke financially.  They come to believe that they are unable to control or change their situation, so they do not try — even when opportunities for change become available.   They take another fight, risking injury to earn a paltry sum.    

After a person has experienced a stressful situation repeatedly, they come to believe that they are unable to control or change the situation, so they do not try.  Their mental state is learned helplessness which is related to the concept of self-efficacy, the individual's belief in their innate ability to achieve goals.  Learned helplessness theory is the view that clinical depression and related mental illnesses may result from such real or perceived absence of control over the outcome of a situation. 

 Remember Anthony Quinn as Mountain Rivera, a punchy has-been managed by the unprincipled Maish (Jackie Gleason) in Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962) 

The British Boxing Board tells heavyweight Danny Williams to walk away before getting hurt ...


“There’s only a few guys that I fight who can actually do anything. I can tell that they’re rubbish and even when I lose, it’s only because I’m totally shot. Most of these guys couldn’t have been my sparring partner back in the day. They’re so rubbish – but still they beat me.”  



“I’m taking each fight as it comes. I should have retired like ten years ago, probably nineteen years ago”, admitted Williams, “But I need to take each fight as it comes. Most of the time I get last minute notice for fights. Normally I’m always training. I’ve got to train because you never know when the phone is gonna ring. I was the home fighter on those shows [in the Czech Republic]. On the fight before last, I was the away fighter, though.”

But what else can he do?
“I continue fighting for money, money, money… I had two daughters in private school it was like £29k plus per year, I’ve got a mortgage to pay and this is the only way of me doing it. One daughter is twenty, so she’s left and she’s at Uni now, and the other has a year left [of school].”




Source: http://boxing-social.com/features/exclusive-danny-williams-finish-line/




 
This was the man who knocked out Mike Tyson.  

Williams, the former British and Commonwealth champion ...



  
https://www.telegraph.co.uk › sport › other sports › British-Boxing-Board-tell...

Mar 31, 2011 - British Boxing Board tell heavyweight Danny Williams to walk away before getting hurt ... Williams, the former British and Commonwealth champion, has ...  
Danny Williams v Mike Tyson


https://youtu.be/my5r0h7BXis  



HIGHLIGHTS | Canelo vs. Sergey Kovalev
https://youtu.be/qjsU5876iB0








No comments: