Don King, on Mike Tyson


"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter?
He went to prison, not to Princeton."



"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music
and the dancers hit each other."

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Quotes

If God ever calls me to a holy war, I want Joe Frazier fighting beside me.
~ Muhammad Ali

"Everybody's gonna get off the path but the point is to forgive yourself and get back on it"
~ Evander Holyfield
 
 

Conquest

"Courage cuts across routes seldom trod."


My pathway lies through worse than death;
I meet the hours with bated breath.
My red blood boils, my pulse thrill.
I live life running up a hill.

Ah, no, I need no paltry play
Of make-shift tilts for holiday:
For I was born against the tide
I must conquer that denied.

I shun no hardship, fear no foe;
The future calls and I must go:
I charge the line and date the spheres
As I go fighting down the years.

--Georgia Douglas Johnson

Georgia Douglas Johnson was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1880. With her publication of 'The Heart of a Woman' in 1918, she became one of the most widely known African-American female poets since Frances E. W. Harper. 
 
Johnson graduated from Atlanta University Normal College in 1896. She also studied music at Oberlin Conservatory and at the Cleveland College of Music, both in Ohio. 
 

Soon after her husband's death, Johnson began to host what became 40 years of weekly "Saturday Salons", for friends and authors, including Langston Hughes, Jean Toomer, Anne Spencer, Richard Bruce Nugent, Alain Locke, Jessie Redmon Fauset, Angelina Weld Grimké and Eulalie Spence — all major contributors to the New Negro Movement, which is better known today as the Harlem Renaissance.


© by owner. Added by volunteers for educational purposes and provided at no charge. Dmca
 
 
 

No comments: